Friday 4 September 2009

Pointless, incessant barking

And perhaps that’s just what I should do, at least according to some, who think that I’ve gone off the deep end, gone over to the “dark side” says one,  in my criticism of Islam.  So perhaps I ought to do that, just give up and return to sharing some pointless, incessant barking with the dogs....
But hang on a tick; just before I go….I find some very good company sharing these views….  Can you guess which right-wing, loony bigot said the following?
(A) “I am reasonably optimistic in America and Europe, I'm pessimistic about the Islamic world, I regard Islam as one of the great evils of the world” (ref)
(B) "It is certainly true that Islam in the world is probably the major evil."(ref)
(C)  “I have long felt that the key to solving the worldwide menace of Islamic terrorism and oppression would eventually be the awakening of women, and Mina Ahadi is a charismatic leader working to that end. The brutal suppression of the rights of women in many countries throughout the Islamic world is an obvious outrage. Slightly less obvious, but just as outrageous, is the supine willingness of western liberals to go along with it. It is worse than supine, it is patronising and condescending: "Wife-beating is part of 'their' culture. Who are we to condemn their traditions?" A religion so insecure as to mandate the death penalty for apostasy is not to be trifled with, and ex-Muslims who stand up and fight deserve our huge admiration and gratitude for their courage. Right out in front of this honourable band is Mina Ahadi. I salute her and congratulate her on this well-deserved award as Secularist of the Year.”(ref)
The awful Islamophobe who said all this?  None other than Professor Richard Dawkins, up to recently the Professor for the Public Understanding of Science at Oxford, trenchant critic all religions, but correctly identifying the Big I as the main worry.